Thursday, March 9, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: From Ganges to Small Tortoiseshell

Ganges

I wanted to look up the Ganges river to see where it was and see pictures. It came up a few times in the Mahabharata and wanted to know if it was real. It flows through India and Bangladesh. 

South Asian River Dolphin (Ganges Dolphin)

In the previous wikipedia page, it talked about how the Ganges river is home to the endangered species of the Ganges Dolphin. I was curious what made it different from normal dolphins. It is a freshwater or river dolphin (I thought dolphins were only in the ocean!). 

List of National Animals

The Ganges Dolphin was considered to be the "national aquatic animal" of India. It took me to a list of national animals and I want to see what kind of diverse animals made the list.

Small Tortoiseshell

The Small Tortoiseshell is actually a species of butterfly that is the national butterfly of Denmark. The picture on the previous list was beautiful and I wanted to see more. I was actually fooled by the picture on the list because it made it appear that the butterfly had a brilliant purple outline around its wrings but it was actually the flower it was sitting on. It now sorta looks like a normal butterfly. 

Ganges River in Varanasi, Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment